Objectives and progress
Vattenfall’s objectives are aligned with the objectives being set for the European energy system (the 20-20-20 targets):
- Reducing emissions: CO2 emissions by 50% by 2030, from 1990 levels.
- Increasing renewables: 8 TWh from wind and biomass by 2020.
- Supporting energy efficiency: Continuous improvement in our operations and in helping our customers use energy.
- Reducing emissions: to date Vattenfall has reduced its emissions intensity by 26.3 % since 1990, adjusted for changes in the company’s structure since then.
- Increasing renewables: In 2011, Vattenfall generated 3.7 TWh of electricity from wind and biomass, up from 1.6 TWh in 2008.
- Supporting energy efficiency: While the results of our energy efficiency initiatives cannot be quantified, we initiated or strengthened energy initiatives.